2019/2020 School Year Important Update
Here is some important information you will need to know to plan your class visit.
New Fee Structure
For the first time in 27 years, we are going to be charging a program registration fee. This has become necessary as we look at keeping the Village viable for the coming years. The cost is $40 per program (an invoice will be issued to your school for payment in the month you attend). We don’t want this fee to prevent any school or class from attending the Village, so if this fee is prohibitive, there will be a form to complete on our website to be exempt from the fee. Please still register for your desired programs and we will handle to fee as a separate matter.
Program Curriculum Changes
We strive to keep our programming current and up-to-date, and we appreciate your feedback! Because of your feedback, our grade 4 program has seen some major changes! It no longer looks like a repeat of the grade 2 program. Grade 4 students now get to maneuver through a life-size home escape plan and become Fire Inspectors in Sparky’s Apartment.
Helpful Tips when Registering
Here are a few things to consider:
- There is a maximum of 25 children per program.
- You are responsible for all transportation (booking, cost, etc).
- If you are a late start school, please take travel time into consideration when selecting the program start time.
- To save on bussing costs we suggest you register for a fire program and a police program for the same scheduled day and time. (The easiest way to do this – use two computers and have the registration screen open on each computer so you can see both programs to confirm the availability – we know this is inconvenient and are looking into system upgrades.)
o Fall months will be grades 3 and 4*.
o Winter months will be grades 5 and 6.
o Spring months will be grades 1 and 2*.
*Please note the change in timing for the grade 2 and grade 4 program, from previous years.
Planning a class trip?
Are you a teacher or educator, planning a class trip? Programming at the Children’s Safety Village offers the following:
- Hands on learning in a safe and realistic environment
- Available to schools in the Region of Waterloo (grades 1-6)
- Operate on a first come first serve basis
- All programs are designed for two grade levels to attend at one time; one will visit the fire education center and the other will visit the police education center
- Capacity is 25 students per class (fire/ police programs run simultaneously to allow for a school to fill a bus to capacity and save on transportation costs – schools are responsible for their own transportation)
- Fully accessible to all children including children with special needs
- Grade 1,2,3 and 4 programs are 70 minutes in length (40 minutes of classroom instruction and 30 minutes of hands on application in a safe and realistic environment)
- Grade 5 and 6 programs are 90 minutes in length
- All programs are taught by a uniformed police officer or a uniformed fire and life safety educator