Grade 3: Bike Safety
- Rules of the road
- Traffic signs and signals
- Bicycle hand signals
- Importance of a proper fitting helmet
- Bike checks
* All students are required to bring their own bike helmet.
Students apply the lessons learned through participation in the outdoor portion of the program.
Group One – Riding Bicycles or Scooters
- Students ride bicycles or scooters through the Village practicing the rules of the road and hand signals
Group Two – Pedestrian Walking Tour
- Students do a walking tour which reinforces the bicycle safety messages learned
* This portion is rain or shine – dress accordingly
** for students not confident on 2-wheeled bicycles scooters are available
*** 2 modified bicycles are available for special needs
Any child on a bicycle MUST wear an appropriately fitting bicycle helmet (please have children bring their own helmets, we only have a small quantity available to borrow at the Village). Should a child not be able to wear a helmet or it cannot be fitted to sit on their head in a safe manner, they will not be allowed to ride a bicycle (due to Highway Traffic Act legislation). At that time, it will be up to the teacher’s discretion if they will allow the student to participate on a scooter with no helmet.